If you are unhappy with a situation, instead of whining, ADKAR it. ADKAR, created by Prosci Research, is simply an acronym for Awareness, Desire, Knowledge, Ability, and Reinforcement. These are fundamental requirements for anyone to succeed and change.
- Awareness: Do you understand why the desired change is needed?
- Desire: Are you motivated to make the desired change?
- Knowledge: Do you know how to make the desired change happen?
- Ability: Have you been given the right information and training?
- Reinforcement: Do you have a system of encouraging or keeping change in place?
Answering the above questions will identify the first stumbling blocks towards making a transition to adapt. Consider all your options and implement what will work best for you.
(To learn more about this topic, check out our Surviving and Managing Change training.)